Virtual Day at the Capitol 2020
2020 DATC Flashblack
Nearly 300 youth participated in our first ever Virtual Day at the Capitol on May 5, 2020! Thanks to all of our amazing TRU advocates for playing a part in making it such a special event. TRU members had the opportunity to participate in the following activities:
- Advocacy 101 Webinar – A 40 minute webinar about the dangers of tobacco products (including e-cigarettes), what advocacy is, and different TRU activities to get involved in to become a great, tobacco-free advocate. Scroll down to view the webinar on this page.
- TRU Social Media – Follow TRU on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TRUinPA, and Twitter @TRUinPA, and follow TRU on Instagram @truinpa. Students had the opportunity to engage in fun videos shared by TRU and our motivational speaker, Patrick Perez.
- #TheFaceYouFund Activity – Members used the resources found at the bottom of this page to create large picture frames using materials at home and took selfies wearing TRU gear. TRU youth shared their selfies on social media and used the hashtag #TheFaceYouFund to show legislators just where their funding goes to help students stay tobacco-free! Students also used the postcard template to write personal messages to state lawmakers and thank them for keeping youth tobacco-free through their funding and shared why they joined the tobacco-free movement!
- Legislative Visits – Several students had the chance to speak with state legislators over the phone to discuss why TRU mattered to them and how they’ve been affected by tobacco or e-cigarettes in their own lives.
- Virtual Town Hall – Day at the Capitol participants and the general public were able to listen to a panel of lung health experts during the Virtual Town Hall. Topics included: the connection between COVID-19 and tobacco use, the e-cigarette epidemic and the Lung Association’s current available programs, the history and importance of tobacco prevention and control funding, the experience and thoughts of current TRU youth and students in PA.
For this complete list of activities, download the Virtual Day at the Capitol checklist, below. Check out some of the photos that were shared during the online event!
Advocacy 101 Webinar
Watch the video below to learn more about being a tobacco-free advocate.
- Bonus activities included getting trained as a leader in Taking Down Tobacco for FREE and online through the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids! Get trained through their one-hour presentation at www.takingdowntobacco.org.
- Participants were also able to take a virtual tour of the PA State Capitol building to make it feel like they were actually there with lawmakers! http://www.pacapitol.com/video-tours/.
Day at the Capitol 2019
Another Successful Day at the Capitol!
On May 7, 2019, we had a record attendance of over 700 youth and adult advocates who conducted more than 185 legislative visits to discuss preserving tobacco prevention and control funding and strong Tobacco 21 legislation at our annual Day at the Capitol in Harrisburg, PA. This year also marked the first year we outgrew our space in the Main Rotunda and instead held a rally in Soldiers Grove! Because of the outpouring of support statewide, media outlets from across the Commonwealth extensively covered our event – another first!
Together, our advocacy efforts made an enormous difference.
Here are a few highlights from the event:
- Four of our Tobacco 21 TRU Ambassadors from Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast PA were awarded during the Day at the Capitol Rally for their hard-work and efforts with advocating for Tobacco 21 and one of our ambassadors was also awarded with our TRU Advocate of the Year Award scholarship! Congratulations to those students!
- Senate Leadership stated strong support in preserving funding for tobacco prevention and control programs as outlined in Governor Wolf’s budget for FY20.
- Quakertown High School Gay Straight Alliance students met with Representative Jeanne McNeill and because of their advocacy efforts, changed her mind from previously being opposed to now being supportive of Tobacco 21 legislation in Pennsylvania.
- Senator Camera Bartolotta stopped by for an impromptu speech in support of Tobacco 21.
Take a look back at some of the media coverage from the day and see if you can find your TRU Group!
- More than 650 Youth Advocates to Rally at State Capitol; Raise Age for Tobacco Products to 21
- More than 600 PA students take stand against selling tobacco to teens
- Youth rally for higher tobacco minimum age
- Kids urge law makers to raise the legal age to purchase tobacco products
- Students urge state lawmakers to raise minimum age to buy tobacco
- Hundreds rally to raise smoking age to 21
- Students lobby for tobacco law change
Join us next year for Day at the Capitol 2020!
Day at the Capitol 2018
Another Successful Day at the Capitol!
Each year, hundreds of TRU (Tobacco Resistance Unit) members from across the state of Pennsylvania rally together with adult lung health advocates at the State Capitol in Harrisburg to speak with their lawmakers about current tobacco control issues, such as Tobacco 21. On May 1st 2018, TRU youth had the chance to make their voices heard by advocating to raise the minimum age to purchase tobacco and nicotine products from 18 to 21. They also had a lot of fun while gathering signatures for their post-it petition in support of Tobacco 21 and they also had the opportunity to participate in a scavenger hunt and win some cool prizes!
Take a look back at last year’s event!