VIRTUAL DAY AT THE CAPITOL 2020
Thanks to all of our amazing advocates who participated in our first ever Virtual Day at the Capitol! Take a look back at some activities from the day.
Nearly 300 youth participated in our first ever Virtual Day at the Capitol on May 5, 2020! Thanks to all of our amazing TRU advocates for playing a part in making it such a special event. TRU members had the opportunity to participate in the following activities:
- Advocacy 101 Webinar – A 40 minute webinar about the dangers of tobacco products (including e-cigarettes), what advocacy is, and different TRU activities to get involved in to become a great, tobacco-free advocate. Scroll down to view the webinar on this page.
- TRU Social Media – Follow TRU on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TRUinPA, and Twitter @TRUinPA, and follow TRU on Instagram @truinpa. Students had the opportunity to engage in fun videos shared by TRU and our motivational speaker, Patrick Perez.
- #TheFaceYouFund Activity – Members used the resources found at the bottom of this page to create large picture frames using materials at home and took selfies wearing TRU gear. TRU youth shared their selfies on social media and used the hashtag #TheFaceYouFund to show legislators just where their funding goes to help students stay tobacco-free! Students also used the postcard template to write personal messages to state lawmakers and thank them for keeping youth tobacco-free through their funding and shared why they joined the tobacco-free movement!
- Legislative Visits – Several students had the chance to speak with state legislators over the phone to discuss why TRU mattered to them and how they’ve been affected by tobacco or e-cigarettes in their own lives.
- Virtual Town Hall – Day at the Capitol participants and the general public were able to listen to a panel of lung health experts during the Virtual Town Hall. Topics included: the connection between COVID-19 and tobacco use, the e-cigarette epidemic and the Lung Association’s current available programs, the history and importance of tobacco prevention and control funding, the experience and thoughts of current TRU youth and students in PA. Watch a recording of this event by clicking the link below on this page.
For this complete list of activities, download the Virtual Day at the Capitol checklist, below. Check out some of the photos that were shared during the online event!
Advocacy 101 Webinar
Watch the video below to learn more about being a tobacco-free advocate.
- Bonus activities included getting trained as a leader in Taking Down Tobacco for FREE and online through the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids! Get trained through their one-hour presentation at www.takingdowntobacco.org.
- Participants were also able to take a virtual tour of the PA State Capitol building to make it feel like they were actually there with lawmakers! http://www.pacapitol.com/video-tours/.