VIRTUAL DAY AT THE CAPITOL 2020
Thanks to all of our amazing advocates who participated in our first ever Virtual Day at the Capitol! Take a look back at some activities from the day.
Didn’t get the chance to join us on May 5th? Don’t worry! You can still complete the activities outlined below and submit your Virtual Day at the Capitol Checklist found in “Resources” at the bottom of this page and e-mail it to Molly.Pisciottano@Lung.org for the chance to win a gift card!
- Advocacy 101 Webinar – A 40 minute webinar about the dangers of tobacco products (including e-cigarettes), what advocacy is, and different TRU activities to get involved in to become a great, tobacco-free advocate. Scroll down to view the webinar on this page.
- TRU Social Media – Follow TRU on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TRUinPA, and Twitter @TRUinPA, and follow TRU on Instagram @truinpa.
- #TheFaceYouFund Activity – Show your legislators just where their funding goes to help students like YOU stay tobacco-free! Download the activity template and instructions listed in “Resources” on this page.
- Create your own large picture frame using materials you have at home and take a selfie wearing TRU gear. Share the selfie on social media or with your TRU advisor and use the hashtag #TheFaceYouFund and share why YOU joined TRU and why you think tobacco prevention and education is important!
- Then, download the postcard template and write a personal message to your state senator or your state representative to thank legislators for keeping youth tobacco-free through their funding and also share why you joined the tobacco-free movement! E-mail or mail your postcard to your legislator by World No Tobacco Day on May 31st.
- Not sure where to contact your legislator? Find out who your state representative and senator are by clicking HERE.
For this complete list of activities, download the Virtual Day at the Capitol checklist, below.
Advocacy 101 Webinar
Watch the video below to learn more about being a tobacco-free advocate.
Download the instructions and templates to complete this activity found in our below “Resources.” Please complete this by the event on May 5th! These materials include:
- #TheFaceYouFund Training Guide
- #TheFaceYouFund Social Media Instructions
- Three picture frame examples to download and use on social media
- #TheFaceYouFund Picture Frame Instructions
- An example picture frame template
- #TheFaceYouFund downloadable postcard to send to legislators
Virtual Town Hall
Watch the recording of our virtual town call by clicking below and listen in as lung health experts discuss a variety of hot topics such as COVID-19 and the dangers and health effects of tobacco, including e-cigarettes. You’ll also have the chance to listen to some of our very own TRU Youth Ambassadors as they share their experiences as leaders in tobacco prevention for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
Contact Your Legislator
Not sure who your state representative or state senator is? No problem! Click on the link below to search for who your lawmaker is, depending on where you live. Once you have their information, you can send them your #TheFaceYouFund postcards or even give them a call! If you’re interested in calling your legislators too, you can use the Sample Script found in the below “Resources” to help with what you can talk about with your lawmaker.
- For a bonus point, you can become trained as a leader in Taking Down Tobacco for FREE and online through the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids! Get trained through their one-hour presentation at www.takingdowntobacco.org.
- Miss seeing the beautiful Pennsylvania State Capitol building in Harrisburg this year? Take a virtual tour of the building to make it feel like you’re actually there with your lawmakers! Join the tour by yourself or check it out with your family here: http://www.pacapitol.com/video-tours/.