2019 DAY AT THE CAPITOL
Day at the Capitol 2019
Another Successful Day at the Capitol!
On May 7, 2019, we had a record attendance of over 700 youth and adult advocates who conducted more than 185 legislative visits to discuss preserving tobacco prevention and control funding and strong Tobacco 21 legislation at our annual Day at the Capitol in Harrisburg, PA. This year also marked the first year we outgrew our space in the Main Rotunda and instead held a rally in Soldiers Grove! Because of the outpouring of support statewide, media outlets from across the Commonwealth extensively covered our event – another first!
Together, our advocacy efforts made an enormous difference.
Here are a few highlights from the event:
- Four of our Tobacco 21 TRU Ambassadors from Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, and Southeast PA were awarded during the Day at the Capitol Rally for their hard-work and efforts with advocating for Tobacco 21 and one of our ambassadors was also awarded with our TRU Advocate of the Year Award scholarship! Congratulations to those students!
- Senate Leadership stated strong support in preserving funding for tobacco prevention and control programs as outlined in Governor Wolf’s budget for FY20.
- Quakertown High School Gay Straight Alliance students met with Representative Jeanne McNeill and because of their advocacy efforts, changed her mind from previously being opposed to now being supportive of Tobacco 21 legislation in Pennsylvania.
- Senator Camera Bartolotta stopped by for an impromptu speech in support of Tobacco 21.
Take a look back at some of the media coverage from the day and see if you can find your TRU Group!
- More than 650 Youth Advocates to Rally at State Capitol; Raise Age for Tobacco Products to 21
- More than 600 PA students take stand against selling tobacco to teens
- Youth rally for higher tobacco minimum age
- Kids urge law makers to raise the legal age to purchase tobacco products
- Students urge state lawmakers to raise minimum age to buy tobacco
- Hundreds rally to raise smoking age to 21
- Students lobby for tobacco law change
Join us next year for Day at the Capitol 2020!